Ancient City Baptist Church is a church with an appreciation for the past and a vision for the future
The Blessings of our Past
Ancient City Baptist Church began with a small group of Baptists meeting in the Genovar Opera House in 1887. It was the first permanent Baptist church to be located between Jacksonville and Key West. Under the spiritual leadership of Dr. G.J. Johnson, along with land donated by Henry Flagler, the congregation moved forward to complete construction of its beautiful house of worship on February 2, 1896. Since then, Ancient City Baptist Church has made several building renovations to the original sanctuary to accommodate growth and change. More important than changes to our building over the last century, however, are the lives that have been changed by our Lord through the ministries of the church. We have seen hundreds of people come to know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord at Ancient City Baptist Church and we are humbled that God would choose to use our church to magnify His name and participate in His plans to build His Kingdom.
The Vision for the Future
God has given Ancient City Baptist Church a two-fold vision for the future. First, in everything we do, we will be faithful to the Word of God. We are unashamedly committed to uncompromising truth of the Gospel and the historic evangelical doctrines of the faith. Second, we will passionately set out to obey Jesus’ Great Commission by genuinely becoming an Acts 1:8 church.
A picture of this future vision is best seen in the life of the Apostle Paul. Like Paul, we will insist on maintaining the pure gospel message and embracing the Bible as our sole source of authority. Also like Paul, we will we strive to present the life-changing gospel in ways that are most understandable to our culture and generation. We will “become all things to all men that we might by all means save some” in the way that Paul actually meant it when he wrote it in 1 Corinthians 9:22.