ancientcitybaptistchurch-642x537Ancient City Baptist Church was organized January 20, 1887 with 18 charter members. The group originally met in the Armory of the old Genovar Opera House, which was located where the St. George Pharmacy stands. The Reverend H.M. King was the first pastor. In 1894, Henry Flagler generously agreed to give a good lot worth about $5,000 with the stipulation that the church body had only two years to erect a building at a cost of not less than $10,000 and that it had to be debt free. Mr. Flagler also requested that the church never put a mortgage on the church property and never hang a bell in the tower. The church building was completed in April 1895 and dedicated on February 2, 1896. In the early 1950s, the sanctuary was remodeled and then again in the early 2000’s